- Authentic: an original NOVICA fair trade product in association with National Geographic.
- Certified: comes with an official NOVICA Story Card certifying quality & authenticity.
- NOVICA works with Yuni Kristina to craft this item.
- Exceptional Quality: crafted with care to be treasured as a keepsake for many years to come.
- Product info: 100% silk
Details: NOVICA, in association with National Geographic, works together with talented artisan designers around the world to produce stunning, keepsake treasures. Our mantra is to spread global happiness, so rest assured - we'll do everything we possibly can to ensure you're a happy customer.
About this item: By Yuni Kristina, this extraordinary shawl features ornate motifs from Java's wealth of historic art. She creates a patchwork pattern in hand-stamped batik on luxurious silk. The design takes its name from Java's Sarangan Lake.
Shawl: 77.0" L x 21.75" W
- Hand-crafted item -- color, size and/or motif may vary slightly
- Dry in the shade
- Hand wash in cold water
- Do not dry clean
About our Artist: I learned the art of batik when I was very young, since my mother is a batik artist in Java. She has been making batik at home for 23 years, while waiting each day for my father - a fisherman - to come home from the sea. As you can imagine, batik is a part of my life. I started experimenting with the technique when I was 13 years old, with mori textiles. Now I've learned to create different motifs and to work with other materials, such as silk. My mother still helps me a lot. My mother is my inspiration. She and I still design together, especially the floral and bird motifs that are typical in Pekalongan batik. My husband Rieckey also helps me a lot because he knows what people like abroad, and then I can focus on creating. I would like the batik of Bali to become well known around the world, since its beauty is outstanding....
Package Dimensions: 9.4 x 6.3 x 1.7 inches